Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lawmakers are reta...um...special

Apparently, Ohio's esteemed governor, Ted Strickland, has signed a law that will remove the "r-word" from the the acronym MRDD. Of
course, MRDD stands for mental retardation and developmental disabilities, and the word retardation is too insulting to include. To my knowledge, Ohio is the first state to enact such legislation, and I for one couldn't be happier to call myself an Ohioan. To my knowledge, I'm the first person ever to state that publicly.

So why does this make me happy? Because it clearly means there are no other problems for the government to be working on. Apparently, the recession is over, everybody has a job, and crime no longer takes place. And Cleveland hasn't set the Cuyahoga River on fire for 40 years! The fact is that the state has no money and has required two consecutive week-long temporary budgets with the governor threatening that there will not be a third. It could be worse though. At least Ohio didn't have to pony up $1,400,000 to provide security for any recent memorial services. Though apparently, attendees are donating generously to the cause. (My favorite part of that last link was the button that said, "Have a better idea? Let us know about it.")

Actually, it makes me happy because I can now use the word retard with reckless abandon. Though the writing's been on the wall for the word for years, I'm not quite sure the retards in Columbus thought this one through. Perhaps they can think about it on the short bus during their ride home.

Once the movement to stop calling retards retarded began, the word "special" was chosen to replace it. Immediately, special was picked up be school kids everywhere as the insult du jour. (That means insult of the day, retard.) To this day, I can't have somebody call me special without immediately asking if they mean short-bus special. The word retard was chosen to define people with developmental disabilities, and it was subsequently used as an insult. Now the phrase "developmentally disabled" is going to replace retard in all state business. How long before being called DD is considered an insult? (Isn't calling somebody a designated driver already somewhat insulting?) Wait until the 10-year-olds catch on. "You're so DD." "No I'm not. You are, retard!"

Next, people in wheelchairs won't be called handicapped so their feelings aren't hurt. And smart people won't be called nerds. (Actually, that one won't happen because the retards making our laws were never insulted with such a term.) Here's my point. We've created words to define people and groups of people, both good and bad. And there is NOTHING wrong with that because everybody is different. That's what special used to mean.

I guess this is what happens when retards are the only people willing to run for office.

(Disclaimer: I've volunteered for the Special Olympics. I'm allowed to say this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment