Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Power Rankings - Christmas Cookies and Candy

Continuing in my week-long series on Christmas Power Rankings, day two will focus on the cookies most worthy of being staked out. Instead of fighting over the crappy cookies, I'd recommend choosing the ones on this list to make your stand. Of course, if there's only one left regardless of which kind, anything goes. All that said, if you'd rather use this post for good, just click the name to get a recipe.



Though certainly not the worst cookies you'll encounter, it's not something I'll be filling myself with. That said, I would imagine most people would enjoy almonds with a bit of cookie holding it together and smothered in powdered sugar.


9. Rum Balls

There's always room on this list for a cookie with rum in it. Unfortunately, there's not a lot in these that will make you drunk. You're better off about making another trip to that box of wine. That doesn't mean that don't taste good.



I've always equated these to being the traditional Christmas cookie. Their taste is decent - albeit a bit like licorice - but unspectacular. The real benefit that these cookies will bring to the table in their ability to be easily decorated.



Who doesn't love tearing apart a gingerbread house? This is like getting to do that without the hassle of building one and wasting time separating the gingerbread from the gumdrops, which are good, but not together.


6. Gumdrops

Unlike the rest of these, I've never encountered homemade gumdrops, but that doesn't mean they don't belong. That said, be warned of licorice and clove. The best part? You'll be picking them out of your teeth for weeks.


5. Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies

I'm not sure what makes these Christmas cookies. They don't have Christmas colors or traditional Christmas flavors. Why can't we make these in July? I think I've just discovered my life's mission.



These are essentially Rice Krispy Treats made with Corn Flakes and tons of green food coloring with cinnamon red hots acting as berries. If they weren't such a hassle to make (It's impossible to resist drinking the first batch of butter/marshmallow concoction. Then, you need to take time for vomiting.), they'd rate higher.


I've never had this homemade either, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult. If Paula Deen can do it, I'm sure I can. And if Paula Deen cooks it, you know it's too unhealthy to taste bad.


So I know these aren't inherently Christmas cookies, and I know they aren't as fancy as the other ones here. But many times I stare at the tray of cookies and end up with chocolate chip. Perhaps the popularity drives me to get mine before everybody else gets there's.


There's really no way to categorize this cookie. The best I can do is to describe it as dried frosting, only much fluffier. Make it with or with out the chocolate chips, it's the world's best cookie either way.



No comments:

Post a Comment